When I was in the midst of the call process to come to Trinity, I remember talking to Lori as I was on my way home from one of my meetings with the Call Committee, and I said “they laugh together…a lot.”
I don’t want to imply that the Call Committee didn’t take their responsibility seriously. Believe me, they took their responsibility very seriously. But in the midst of the process, in the meetings and conversations, they laughed. This told me a lot:
- These people like each other
- Their relationships are healthy
- These people are genuinely funny
- These people like to be together
Tonight, the Call Committee had a kind of a “reunion gathering” at one of their homes. The food and fellowship were amazing. And at one point, sitting on the deck, with the sound of kids playing, and good conversation, I just paused and looked around the group and listened. And I heard laughter, and I smiled.
I smiled because I believe that laughter is one of the ways the Holy Spirit makes itself known. Certainly it’s not the most dramatic way, and it’s perhaps not even the most significant way. But It is a way.
“For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” (Matthew 18:20)
- When people gather in groups in the name of Christ, Jesus shows up.
- When people gather in the name of Christ, community is formed.
- When people gather in the name of Christ, friendships are made.
- When people gather in the name of Christ, you can tell because people laugh.
Tonight I am grateful for the hospitality of the Call Committee. But even more, I’m grateful to Jesus for “showing up” regularly in the midst of that group, and for forming them into a community of friends.
I’m thankful for their laughter, which reminds me that God is at work.